The Fishers Chamber OPPOSES Current Cap-and-Trade Proposal, Supports Common Sense Solutions
- Support negotiations of an international framework that all countries abide by.
- Support tax credits for developing alternative energy
- Support new incentives for research and development of next-generation automotive technologies
- Support streamlining permitting of nuclear power generation and development of clean coal technology
Action Requested: Please urge Sen. Lugar, Sen. Bayh and your Indiana congressman to oppose the disastrous cap-and-trade legislation. Urge them to use common sense and to strike a balance between job creation and other economic imperatives and environmental protection.
The Fishers Chamber of Commerce OPPOSES Student Loan Reform
- Support the existing infrastructure to ensure no transition risk and the protection of 35,000 local jobs
- Support maintaining service providers to minimize borrower disruption and assure competition
- Support reducing defaults by requiring “risk-sharing” for all student loan servicing
- Support for fee for service default collections
- Support the college access and completion fund
- Support extended repayment and graduated repayment terms
- Support expanded ABCP conduit under ECASLA for consolidation loans
Action Requested: Please urge Sen. Bayh and your Indiana congressman to reconsider their support of the all-government program in order to save jobs in Indiana.
The Fishers Chamber SUPPORTS Market-based Fix for Health Care.
Oppose the so-called “public option”
- Supports reform that seeks to foster and preserve efficient private insurance markets
- Supports reform that seeks to realign economic incentives from fee-for-services to outcome-based compensation for providers
- Support medical malpractice reform
- Support reform that standardizes insurance procedures
- Support reform that enhances the use of medical information technology
- Support reform that introduces competition between private insurers (selling health insurance across state lines)
Action Requested: Please urge Sen. Evan Bayh and your Indiana congressman to oppose a government-run public option for health care that will lead to the loss of employer-provided insurance with no guarantees of universal coverage or cost reductions. Ask them to support common sense reforms such as medical malpractice reform and other consensus solutions instead of radical restructuring.
The Fishers Chamber’ OPPOSES Card-Check Legislation and Union Gamesmanship (a.k.a Union Card Check).
- Support protecting workers’ rights to a secret ballot in union elections
- Aggressively oppose any form of binding arbitration in contract negotiations
- Oppose enhanced access to employees by union organizers
- Support employees' rights to form a union under the current National Labor Relations Act
- Oppose legislation that would expose workers to intimidation, deception and coercion
Action Requested: Please urge Sen. Lugar, Sen. Bayh and your Indiana congressman to oppose the misleading “Employee Free Choice Act” and keep union intimidation and binding arbitration out of the workplace while retaining secret-ballot elections.
The Fishers Chamber SUPPORTS Timely Reauthorization of SAFETEA-LU
- Support of a passage of a new surface transportation reauthorization.
- Support continuation over the debate of the country’s future transportation needs
Action Requested: Please inform Sen. Lugar, Sen. Bayh and your Indiana congressman that you support strategic investments in U.S. transportation infrastructure and encourage them to work with their colleagues in Congress to make highway and transit investment an urgent priority.